Bergen County Irish Festival
Saturday, June 28th, 2014, Overpeck County Park, Ridgefield Park, N.J.
Park opens at 11:00 am
- 11:00 – Mass – Main Stage
- Performance from Bergenfield School of Irish Dance
- 12:30 – Festival Opens – Main Stage
- National Anthems
- Speeches from dignitaries, elected officials, etc.
- Performance by Bergen Irish Pipe Band
- Intro of Broken Banjo Strings
- 1:00 – Pub Areas Open
- Children’s Activities Open
- Broken Banjo Strings (band) – Main Stage
- Tommy Mulvihill Band – Traditional Tent
- Author readings & performances begin – Arts & Literature Tent
- 2:00 – Gaelic Football Tournament starts – Pete Jones Field
- Last call for 50/50 (by bands on stage)
- Pony Rides Open
- 2:30 – Drawing of 2pm 50/50 – Main Stage
- Intro of Ridgewood School of Irish Dance
- McLoughlin Dancers – Traditional Tent
- 2:35 – Performance by Ridgewood School of Irish Dance – Main Stage
- 3:00 – Intro & Performance of Clan na Vale Pipe Band
- Mike Keogh and Tara Gold – Traditional Tent
- Intro of The Cousins Moran (band) – Main Stage
- 4:00 – Last call for 4pm 50/50 (by bands)
- Intro of McLoughlin School of Irish Dance
- Author readings & performances end – Arts & Literature Tent
- 9-Mile House (band) – Arts & Literature Tent
- 4:15 – Performance by McLoughlin School of Irish Dance
- 4:30 – Drawing of 4pm 50/50
- Intro of the Narrowbacks
- Performance by the Ridgewood School of Irish Dance – Traditional Tent
- 5:00 – 7:00 – CEILI – (no break)– Traditional Tent
- Hosted by The Mike Rafferty-Joe Madden Branch CCE
- Music By: John Nolan, Margie Mulvihill, Bernadette Fee & Dan Gibney
- Bergen County Firefighters Pipe Band – Main Stage
- Gaelic Football Tournament Final – Pete Jones Field
- Pony rides – close
- 6:00 – Pub areas – close
- Trophy presentation for GAA Tournament winner – Main Stage
- Closing statements / Thank You – Main Stage
- Intro – Danny Quinn – Main Stage
- Last call of 6pm 50/50 – Main Stage (Danny Quinn)
- Festival Closes
Niall and Cillian Vallely on Tour
Niall and Cillian Vallely are off on tour in the US and Canada from June 13th to June 29th. The tour will take in performances in New York, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Delaware, Washington DC, Maryland and Quebec. It will include a special performance with the Mid-Atlantic Symphony Orchestra in Ocean City, MD on June 20th. They’ll also be joined by Alan Murray on guitar.
Fri 13 8pm Pearl River, NY House Concert firstname.lastname@example.org 845 641 5882
Sat 14 Fairfield, CT Fairfield Irish festival http://www.irishfestival.org
Sun 15 4pm Tuftenboro, NH Old White Church Greg Heppe email@example.com 603-569-9859
Tues 17 7.30pm Wilmington, DE Blue Ball Barn, Green Willow Folk Club firstname.lastname@example.org 302-456-3242
Wed 18 8pm Washington DC House Concert (SOLD OUT)
Fri 20 Selbyville, DE w/Mid-Atlantic Symphony Orchestra http://www.freemanstage.org/event/mid-atlantic-symphony-orchestra-songs-of-st-patrick
Sat 21 Philadelphia, PA House Concert (SOLD OUT)
Sun 22 2pm Ridgefield, CT lalambton@ridgefieldlibrary 203 438 2282
Wed 25 8pm Rochester, NY East Rochester High School http://www.blackrosetrad.org/vallely.html
Fri 27-29 Montreal, QC Chants De Vielles Festival http://www.chantsdevielles.com/
Bayshore Irish Festival
KEANSBURG, New Jersey (May 01, 2014) – On Saturday, August 2nd 2014, the Borough Council of Keansburg
will present the first Bayshore Irish Festival, a family oriented event celebrating the rich Irish heritage of the Bayshore Communities. The day long, free festival will be held at the waterfront in Keansburg, NJ.
The inaugural edition of the Bayshore Irish Festival will begin at 12:00 PM and run until 6PM with a variety of activities and entertainment for the entire family. Admission is free and attendees are encouraged to bring blankets and lawn chairs to make themselves comfortable as they take in all the festival has to offer as well as the rest of the activities and attractions available in Keansburg on a beautiful summer afternoon. No coolers permitted.
Music and entertainment will be provided throughout the day by local traditional Irish musicians as well as by Irish bands; Celtic Connection from Philadelphia and the always upbeat Narrowbacks from New York. Traditional Irish step dancing will be presented by fabulous and highly acclaimed Shea-Jennings School of Irish Dance.
A variety of food, clothing and crafts vendors will be on hand in addition to local businesses showcasing their goods and services. Free spots are available in all vendor categories if you own a business and are interested in participating. Advance registration is required and information can be obtained via email at email@example.com
A beer garden will be provided and proceeds from those sales will benefit the Borough of Keansburg Emergency Services Departments.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org
Billy Keenan Fundraiser, May 3-4
Billy Keenan is every Irish American.
The quintessential model father, husband, friend, soldier, teacher, scholar, musician, and proud Irishman… Billy is someone we all know, or will know. He is like everyone of us. He has taught our kids, helped so many of our causes, and sang at our churches, parties and weddings.
In September, Billy had the most unfortunate accident down the Jersey Shore while doing what he loves, surfing. Suffering catastrophic injury to his spinal cord, Billy is unable to use his arms or legs, and requires assistance 24 hours a day.
His friends, family, bandmates, associates, and fellow Irish Americans will not let him down… we will support his family with all our connections, skills, generosity energy, and our love. Billy would be doing it for every one of us…
#KeenanStrong is an organization 100% dedicated to helping Billy and his family. Every penny we collect goes to them… Help us help them!
Impressive Music Lineup for #KeenanStrong Concert Weekend
We are overwhelmed that the biggest Irish bands in NYC jumped right on bill for Billy and the #KeenanStrong Concert Series on May 3-4. The list includes:
- Broken Banjo Strings
- Celtic Cross
- Andy Cooney
- Cunningham Brothers
- Jameson’s Revenge
- Joanie Madden
- McLean Avenue
- The Narrowbacks
- NYPD Pipes & Drums
- The Primetime Showband
- John Reynolds & Margie Mulvihill
And many others are in the works and hopefully will be announced shortly. Mark your calendars for May 3-4.
Mike Rafferty-Joe Madden Branch Honors Terry Rafferty at their 20th Anniverary Ceili!
Oct. 20 from 3-7 p.m
VFW Hall in Bogota
239 Leonia Avenue
Out in New Jersey the Mike Rafferty-Joe Madden Branch of Comhaltas will be celebrating its 20th Anniversary on Sunday, Oct. 20 from 3-7 p.m. at the VFW Hall in Bogota (239 Leonia Avenue, Bogota, NJ). On this very special occasion, the branch will honor Terry Rafferty, the wife of the late great Mike Rafferty for her steadfast dedication to both the branch and to Comhaltas for so many years. As a special treat the Pearl River Under 12 Ceili Band will play at 3 p.m. and then the ceili gets underway at 4 p.m. with music by the regulars Eileen Goodman, John & Gerry Kennedy, Dan Gibney and special guest John Reynolds. Contact Secretary Mary Carney (201-418-8637 or email@example.com) for more info.
Master Class and Lecture with Martin Hayes
Martin Hayes will be giving a lecture and running a fiddle class on Monday September 30th at the Middletown Arts Center in Middletown New Jersey, adjacent to the Middletown train station from New York.
Directions are at http://www.middletownarts.org/viewPage.php?pageId=9. Parking is free and the overflow parking is also free at the train station.
Date: Monday September 30th 2013.
Location: Middletown Arts Center at: 36 Church Street, Middletown, NJ, 07748
- 6:30-7:30 Lecture/Demo “How to create and innovate within a tradition”
- 8:00-9:45 Fiddle class
- 10:00-? Session at Dublin House, 30 Monmouth Street Red Bank. Martin may join us if he has time.
- Registering for fiddle class only and payment received after August 20th $45
- Registering for fiddle class only and payment received before August 20th $40
- Registering for lecture only $20
- Registering for lecture for attendees of fiddle class $15
- We may have to limit the the number of attendees in the class so book early if you want to attend.
Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested and let me know which event you plan to attend.
Payments can be made using paypal (www.paypal.com) to the above email address, or by check. If you want to pay by check email me and I will let you know where to mail the payment.
Filed under: Claddagh na nGael, Claddagh na nGael branch, Festival, New Jersey
Official Schedule for GaelFest
GaelFest takes place on June 1st, 2013 in Lincroft, NJ. Click here for more info.
11:15: MAIN STAGE ALL TRADITIONAL MUSIC
11:00 – 12:00 Trinity
12:00- 12:30 Pat Murphy School of Dance
12:30 – 1:45 Loughran Coleman Band
2:00 – 2:30 Under 12 All-Ireland Champion Ceili Band
2:45 – 4:00 Girsa
4:00 – 4:30 Shea Jennings School of Dance
4:30 – 5:45 Blackwater
12:00 -12:45 HURLING > Na Toraidhe vs Long Island Gaels
12:45 – 1:30 HURLING > Hoboken Guards vs Allentown Hibernians
1:30 – 2:15 Gaelic Football > NYPD vs St Barnabas
2:15 – 2:30 Pat Torphy & CBA Pipe Bands
2:30 – 3:15 Hurling Shield Final
3:15- 4:00 Hurling A Final
4:00 – 5:00 Gaelic Football Clinic for children
10:00 Mass in Irish by Fr Dan Cahill
11:00 – 12:00 Anthony Valentino Irish language
11:00 – 12:00 Irish literature talk Beth Gilmartin
12:00 – 1:00 Iris Nevins Harp workshop
12:00 – 1:00 Micheal O’Maille “Learn Irish” (for children)
1:00 – 2:00 Sean Nos Dance Workshop Megan Downes
1:00 – 2:00 Bloomsday Talk, Beth Gilmartin
2:00 – 5:00 Ceili, Pride of Moyvane
3:00 – 4:00 Where the Irish have come from / Our 9,000 year odyssey, Micheal OMaille
12:00 – 12:30 Step Dancing Patricia Murphy School (main stage)
1:00 – 2:00 Sean Nos Dance Workshop Megan Downes (inside gym)
2:00 – 5:00 Ceili Dancing Pride of Moyvane (inside gym)
4:00 – 4:30 Step Dancing Shea/Jennings School (main stage)
1:00 Harp workshop Iris Nevins (inside classroom)
1:30 Flute introduction, Linda Hickman (outside childrens area)
2:00 Tin Whistle introduction, Marian Lawlor (outside childrens area)
2:30 Fiddle introduction, Robin Gunn (outside childrens area)
3:00 Harp Introduction, Iris Nevins (outside childrens area)
Impromptu Music Seisuns at the CCE Information Tent all day run by Linda Hickman, Iris Nevins and the musicians of Claddagh na nGael and Delaware Valley branches of CCE.